TRIGGER WARNING: RACISM, VIOLENCE, DEATH
Unarmed Black Teen Gunned Down By Neighborhood Watch Leader After Being Deemed Suspicious
Trayvon “Trey” Martin, 17, of Miami was visiting relatives living in a gated community in Sanford, Florida. He had just left a local 7-11 after buying a snack and was on his way home around 7:00 PM on February 26. George Zimmerman, a 26-year-old member of the local neighborhood watch, saw Martin and called police to report a suspicious man in the community. He tailed Martin in his car. He had a loaded pistol on him. The police told Zimmerman they would handle it.
For some reason, Zimmerman didn’t obey. Minutes later, a number of local residents called police to report a fight. A gunshot was heard. Martin died 70 yards from the house he was staying in. Zimmerman was arrested and then released. He was carrying the pistol legally and has claimed that he was acting in self-defense.
Said Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee Jr. in an interview with the Huffington Post, “For some reason he (Zimmerman) felt that Trayvon, the way that he was walking or appeared seemed suspicious to him.”
Ah, yes. The way he was walking and his appearance were deemed “suspicious.” Oh, did I forget to mention that Martin is black? And that the gated community, called Retreat at Twin Lakes, is predominantly white?
Martin’s parents are demanding the police make an arrest and release the 911 call. They are expected to file a suit in state court on Friday.
“Zimmerman, an adult, had a gun. Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old, had Skittles. No way you can say self-defense,” said the family’s attorney, Benjamin Crump.
what the fuck do you mean they’re calling for his arrest. the fact that Zimmerman isn’t right now in custody is all the proof anyone needs of what is still happening in this country.
What irks me the most about this situation is that Zimmerman is trying to claim self defense. How in the hell are you going to plead self defense against a 17-year-old boy when he had nothing but Skittles in one pocket and a damn iced tea in the other?
Is it possibly THAT hard to just be a decent human being and admit that the basis of your “suspicion” came from the fact that he was black?
Some reports are stating that when police arrived on the scene Zimmerman’s back was wet, his nose was bloodied, and he was yelling about how he cried for help and no one came. So “‘There is some physical evidence and some testimony that would corroborate [his claim of self defense].” Which is fucking ridiculous.
He was a twenty six year old man in a car following a seventeen year old kid at night. He has all the power in this situation. He is older, he is more familiar with the area, he is armed, and he is inside a goddamn car. The only way an altercation occurs is if he gets out of his car. If it’s night and I’m walking alone and a car begins to follow me, I am going to be terrified of that car and it’s driver. I can completely understand a young kid reacting aggressively in that situation because that’s a terrifying situation to find yourself in. The only person who should be held responsible for any alteracation that occured is the grown ass man who thought it appropriate to follow a young kid around in the dark after the police dispatch explicitly told him not to do so and then GOT OUT OF HIS CAR.
Zimmerman is clearly and undeniably the aggressor here and the fact that he has not been arrested is disgusting.
I don’t even know what to say.
3774 Notes/ Hide
- vronnyka reblogged this from andrewisatoolbag
- rhymeswithjay reblogged this from donlifted
- maryjaneyummypants likes this
- wontbetelevised reblogged this from blackgod
- theurbanrebellion reblogged this from blackpeopleproblems
- lipt0ntea reblogged this from hannnijuana
- hypurbale reblogged this from blackpeopleproblems
- untitledsouls reblogged this from monkeyknifefight
- nabulos reblogged this from naughtyseraph
- uusoae reblogged this from starlightfirefly
- starlightfirefly reblogged this from isleptpassnoon
- saintcheshire reblogged this from rune-midgarts
- clowder-l likes this
- mrbenwyatt reblogged this from lissomelle
- ludcranel reblogged this from yadadafeel and added:
- celestial-fox likes this
- daisyisfat reblogged this from blackpeopleproblems
- goblin-moy reblogged this from chanelary
- after-tod4y reblogged this from weresoopariswhenwekisss
- ar3y0udtf reblogged this from weresoopariswhenwekisss
- weresoopariswhenwekisss reblogged this from may-18-2012
- kengrii likes this
- jcatgrl reblogged this from nethenclawpuff
- sweetxsecret reblogged this from mickeysphilharmagic
- sweetxsecret likes this
- whistlingghostdad likes this
- mickeysphilharmagic reblogged this from rune-midgarts
- carnivaloftherandom reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- the-nomad-soul reblogged this from healtheworld92
- rottingintheundertow reblogged this from angryvegan
- speckonthelense reblogged this from themamafox and added:
- thedreamsnatcher reblogged this from veganmudblood and added:
- son-risa reblogged this from themamafox
- painttheseconds likes this
- heydarlindoyougamble reblogged this from themamafox and added:
- beanjino likes this
- xomadamecupcake likes this
- birdsneversleep reblogged this from angryvegan
- davidbeccums reblogged this from themamafox
- rhiannoncorynn likes this
- anxiety--anxieties likes this
- standthere-and reblogged this from themamafox
- healtheworld92 reblogged this from angryvegan
- veryverykathy likes this
- wisdom-society likes this
- sladevegas reblogged this from themamafox and added:
- angryvegan reblogged this from veganmudblood
- dreamsinthyme likes this
- bloomysqueeb reblogged this from themamafox